Posted: 21.11.20 at 16:56 by The Editor
HISTORIC assets throughout the Maldon district – from road signs to buildings and wartime relics – will be surveyed with a view to protecting the area’s heritage in future developments.
The mammoth task of listing the diverse range of assets will be taken on parish by parish to produce a list that is then put out for public consultation. The focus will be only on assets which do not already have national graded listed status.
In the light of feedback, Maldon district councillors will then decide whether to give the buildings, objects and landmarks a place on a more permanent list that would allow them greater consideration when planning applications are made.
Draft lists for the parishes of St Lawrence, Woodham Walter, Langford and Ulting have now been put together by Maldon District Council’s (MDC’s) conservation officer, working alongside local historians. A special meeting of MDC’s Strategy and Resources Committee on Tuesday, 24 November, will decide whether these lists can be put out to public consultation.
Any asset on the final list will be given ‘non designated heritage asset status’ – this is not the same as national graded ‘listing’ and will not mean the assets are protected in the same way as ‘listed properties’ are with respect to planning controls, but it will mean that any planning applications involving them must:
• take account of the preservation of their special character and appearance
• be supported by a heritage statement that describes its significance.
Following approval for public consultation, the draft lists will be published on MDC’s website and each Parish Council and owner/occupier involved will be written to. They will be asked whether they agree to the listing and to supply any relevant additional information.
Members of the public will also have the opportunity to submit further nominations for heritage assets they think should be added.
• Langford and Ulting:
• Langford Old School and Old School House, Maldon Road
• Langford Mill, Maldon Road
• Olde School House, Crouchmans Farm Road, Ulting
The parish of St Lawrence:
• Olde Rectory, Bradwell Road
• Motts Farmhouse, Main Road
• The Water Tower, St Lawrence Hill
• The Schoolhouse, Southminster Road
• The D-Day Embarkation Hard at Stone Point
• St Lawrence Hall, St Lawrence Hill
• Coastal Pillboxes, St Lawrence
The parish of Woodham Walter:
• Gunhill Farm, Burnthouse Road
• Cast iron fingerpost, Church Hill
• Woodlands, Cut A Thwart Lane
• Hoe Farm Barns and Hoe Farm House, Hoe Mill Road
• Manor Farm, Manor Road
• Former threshing barn and attached stable block, Manor Farm
• Lodge Farm, Old London Road
• 1 and 2 Redgates, Old London Road
• Former stables, The Warren, Old London Road
• Wayside, Old London Road
• 1 and 2, The Almshouses, Rectory Road
• Cast iron fingerpost, The Street
• K6 telephone kiosk, The Street
• Tadpoles Nursery, The Street
• Woodham Walter Women’s Club, Top Road