Charging vape was source of fire that caused extensive damage to Maldon home
By Nub News Reporter
16th Nov 2022 | Local News
Following a fire that caused extensive damge to a house in Maldon, a warning has been ussued about recharging vapes.
A vape, that had been left on a bed as it was being charged, overheated and set light to the bedding which then quickly spread.
The blaze happened at a home on Jersey Road yesterday (Tuesday, 15 November) and was attended by five crews from Maldon, Witham, Chelmsford and Colchester.
When the first fire crews arrived, they reported the first floor of the house was full of smoke and a bedroom was engulfed in flames. The fire has also spread to the roof.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and extinguished the blaze.
Martin Cable, watch manager at Maldon Fire Station, said: "This fire has caused extensive damage to the house and the occupants will not be able to live there for some time - there is a lot of damage to repair.
"The fire started in the bedroom where a vape, which was plugged into a charger, was left on the bed unattended. The vape overheated and caught the bedding and mattress alight. The fire then spread around the bedroom.
"Incidents like this show how important it is to think about how you should charge your electrical items safely. We advise that you only use a reputable charger, and not a cheap alterntive which are often not tested or conform to safety standards. We also urge people not to leave any electrical items charging unattended and to place the items on a fire resistant surface, not a bed or sofa which are much more flammable."