Maldon
Nub News Logo
Nub News

Councillor is among men charged in connection with human trafficking and sex offences

Local News by Nub News Reporter 9 minutes ago  
Cllr Richard Howard-Smith.
Cllr Richard Howard-Smith.

A MALDON Town councillor has been charged as part of the ongoing investigation and legal action surrounding allegations of human trafficking for sexual exploitation, rape and other sexual offences - linked to Maldton & Tiptree Town football club. .

Among those charged and currently held on remand is Maldon town councillor Richard Howard-Smith, who represents the west ward.

A statement from the council says: "Cllr Howard-Smith voluntarily stepped aside from his official duties at the outset of this investigation.

"Moving forward, his position will remain under continuous review, strictly guided by relevant legislation and advice from the appropriate authorities.

"The Council urges those with any information regarding the case to contact Essex Police via their incident room, which you can call on 0800 051 4526. "

Cllr John Driver, Town Mayor said: "The allegations reported are deeply disturbing, and our thoughts are first and foremost with the victims.

"As a Council, our primary concern is the safety and wellbeing of our residents.

"We have full confidence in the police to conduct a thorough investigation, and we urge the public to allow the investigation to take its course."

advertisement

A statement from the council added: "In relation to Council business, the Code of Conduct for Members and Standing Orders apply to ensure that the integrity of the Council's decision-making processes remains uncompromised.

"Maldon Town Council keeps its safeguarding policy and procedures under review, to ensure the safety of children, young people and adults at risk of abuse.

"The Council would also expect those organisations it engages with to have appropriate policies and procedures in place."

On Thursday (23 May) it was announced that two men had been arrested as part of an investigation into rape, sexual offences and human trafficking for exploitation.

Police detained a 35-year-old man in Danbury and a second man, 24, in Oxfordshire, on Thursday.

They were arrested on suspicion of sexual offences and taken to custody for questioning.

Officers have been searching Maldon & Tiptree FC, the Swan pub in Braintree and a house in Danbury as part of their inquiries, which began earlier in May.

Barrie, 57, and Scott Drewitt-Barlow, 32 - who bought the football club last year - were arrested as part of the same investigation on 8 May and have been in custody since.

They were charged with rape, sexual offences and human trafficking for exploitation and are next due at Chelmsford Crown Court on 5 June.

Det Insp Lydia George, who is leading the investigation, said a "significant number" of detectives were working on the case.

She added: "I would again appeal to anyone reading or hearing this who has information they feel ready to share with us to please come forward and contact us."

     

CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
maldon vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: maldon jobs

Share:

Comments (0)

Post comment

No comments yet!


Sign-up for our FREE newsletter...

We want to provide maldon with more and more clickbait-free news.