Tribute to Dazza on frustrating day for Jammers

By Scott Mitchell

4th Dec 2022 | Football

A minute's applause for Dazza.
A minute's applause for Dazza.

Maldon & Tiptree 0, Gorleston 0

A very emotional day at Park Drive as everybody involved in the club came together after the passing of Jammers supporter, club member and genuine nice guy, Darren Gibbons, Dazza.

An ongoing collection took place in memory of Dazza and thanks to everybody who donated yesterday. A minute's applause took place before the game, a fitting tribute. 

The game kicked off with both teams languishing in the bottom three of the league table.  

In a scrappy opening it was The Jammers doing most of the pressing. The first major chance came early on when Roman Campbell held the ball up for Harvey Sayer to shoot. His shot curled and dipped before hitting the cross bar and bouncing to safety.

On another foray Maldon pushed forward and Scott Kemp pressed Gorleston keeper, Jake Jessop into a fumble. Kemp got hold of the loose ball and shot towards goal. The Gorleston keeper redeemed himself and used every inch of his 6'5" to scrape the shot wide.

Sayer had penalty claims waved away after a typical dribbling run. 

On a rare attack the other way Gorleston's Ross Gilfedder had a shot that came to nothing.

Maldon continued to do most of the pressing and were again left frustrated when a long throw lead to a header at goal by Campbell. Jessop made a fine full length diving save and the half ended goalless. 

The second half continued with Maldon pushing forward although Gorleston came more into the game as they started played a long ball game. 

Sayer had a shot well saved by the feet of Jessop and Sayer fired another effort wide after being put through by Kemp. Kemp was constantly pressing the Gorleston defenders and after one of these efforts he crossed over. Sadly, for The Jammers Danny Nesbitt was inches from making contact with the ball. 

At the other end, Gorleston's Connor Deeks, fired a header against the Maldon crossbar before everybody saw the offside flag go up. 

Campbell had another effort for Maldon repelled and in the last 15 minutes Gorleston came more into the game. Deeks was unlucky when he fired a free kick against the bar of the Maldon goal. 

Chances came at both ends towards the end of the game. After a Maldon free kick Nesbitt headed over. At the other end Jamie North fired a shot which was well pushed away by Maldon keeper, Tommy Dixon-Hodge.

The game ended 0-0 and Maldon were left feeling frustrated at not having taken three points. 

Maldon's next league game is a tough one with a trip to table topping AFC Sudbury on Saturday, 10 December.   

Another big thank you goes to all involved, and those who donated towards another successful food back collection for Maldon Food Pantry.


Related Articles

Steve Tilson was presented with an Isthmian League 'Manager of the Month' award for August. (Credit: Heybridge Swifts)

Heybridge Swifts boss Steve Tilson wins 'Manager of the Month' award

Maldon & Tiptree suffered a narrow defeat when Redbridge FC scored a fourth goal with just 20 seconds left of Saturday's match. (Credit: Roy Warner)

'A (Red)bridge too far': Maldon & Tiptree FC suffers narrow defeat

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Maldon with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.