What's On this weekend: open-air operas, ABBA tributes, silent movies and more
By Ben Shahrabi
23rd Jun 2022 | Local News
Every Thursday, we bring you our top picks of events happening near you over the coming weekend.
If your business or organisation is running an event, you can advertise it for free with Maldon Nub News.
Simply follow this link to our What's On section and click the black 'Nub It' button to get started.
Silent Movie: Phantom of the Opera at St Mary's Church, Maldon: Friday June 24, at 7.30pm
- Annual Silent Movie presentation with live organ accompaniment: the original film version from 1925, starring Lon Chaney, as part of the Maldon Festival.
- Jonathan Eyre will improvise the sound track to the original movie.
- The film adapted Gaston Leroux's 1910 novel which described historical events at the Paris Opera of the 19th Century, interwoven with myths of ghostly performers who haunt that famous stage.
- General admission costs £18, concessions cost £15.
- Tickets available via Eventbrite.
Hyde Hall Live! at RHS Garden Hyde Hall, Chelmsford: Friday 24, Saturday 25, and Sunday 26 June - doors open at 6.15pm
- Visit Hyde Hall for an exciting weekend of outdoor live music, including Planet ABBA, the Pete Rudeforth Jazz Band, and 50s rock 'n' rollers, the Bluejays.
- Doors open at 6.15pm each night with the show starting at 7.30pm.
- Food & drink available on the night.
- Tickets: Adults £17.00, children under-15 £8.50.
- Book online here.
Midsummer Madness: Myths, Magic and Metamorphoses at Cressing Temple Barns, Saturday June 25, from 10.30am
- A 'magical' day of author events (for the young and the young at heart), dragons, fairies, storytelling, live music and theatre, den-building and foraging walk.
- Free drop-in activities (no booking required), plus ticketed events shown below:
- Beatrix Potter: Drawn to Nature – Annemarie Bilclough will give a tantalising glimpse into the life of this extraordinary woman.
- The Fairy Tellers – Award-winning travel writer, Nicholas Jubber, explores the secret history of fairy tales.
- What! A Load of Rubbish – a new comedy magic show from Theatre Lark for family audiences, ages 4+. Free but booking essential.
- The Honeybee Treasure Hunt with Emma Beswetherick – author of Playdate Adventures hosts this fun interactive session for children to learn about honeybees and design your own bug hotel, for ages 5-8
- For more information, visit the Essex Book Festival website.
Open-air opera double-bill and picnic at St Mary's churchyard, Maldon: Saturday June 25, at 7.30pm
- Une éducation manquée (An Incomplete Education) and Cox and Box, will be performed by a local company, Handmade Opera.
- It will be hosted by Plume Academy's Executive Principal, Carl Wakefield, as part of the Maldon Festival.
- Tickets start from £22 and can purchased via the website.
Armed Forces Day 2022 at Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome, Purleigh: Saturday June 25, from 10am
- Stow Maries is hosting this event "to thank and celebrate our Armed Forces".
- Vintage aircraft in the hangars, tours of the exhibitions including 'Words Without Wires' and 'Guiding The Empire'.
- Nimy Company living history demonstrations.
- Airmen's Mess open for breakfast, lunch, light snacks, Tiptree cake, home made scones and hot and cold drinks.
- Special reduced admission fee for the day.
- Public: £5 for adults and children over 5 years old.
- Serving members of the Armed Forces receive FREE entry for them, their spouse and children on production of appropriate ID.
- Find out more information on the website.