Wroxham Hog all three points against the Jammers

By Lee Witney

6th Mar 2024 | Local Sport

(Photo: Maldon & Tiptree FC)
(Photo: Maldon & Tiptree FC)

Maldon & Tiptree's playoff hopes were dealt a huge blow by Wroxham who staged a smash-and-grab on the Jammers to seal a 1-0 win.

The Jammers were looking to bounce back from a disappointing Essex Senior Cup semi-final defeat at Redbridge during the week and were well backed as always by an impressive number of travelling fans. Those fans already had reason to cheer after a visit to Wroxham's best sandwich shop. It was so good, you couldn't have just one…..

There were first starts for 3 players as Harry Honesty, Adeteye Gbadehan and Hakeem Sandeh all came into the starting lineup.

The hosts started well and within 2 minutes, Jammers goalkeeper Luca Collins was forced into a smart save, pushing the ball wide for a corner.

Five minutes later, Wroxham were nearly ahead when a corner taken by Harley Black was sent crashing off the underside of the crossbar.

Gradually, the Jammers worked their way into the game, but couldn't make their good play count- a tame shot from Sandeh that was easily dealt with by Warren Burwood as much as they could muster.

A half of few chances settled down as both sides probed, looking for a chance to break the deadlock.

Another Wroxham chance that was headed over the bar and a shot from Sandeh for Maldon were the last efforts of note of the first half.

Maldon started the 2nd half well and had a glorious chance to take the lead but just as it looked as if George Smith was about to head home, the ball was taken away from him and the game remained goalless.

With an hour gone, the Jammers were still in the ascendancy and Milton Oni fired over from a tight angle following great work from Sandeh in the middle before spraying the ball wide. Soon the rain began to fall- sideways.

Michael Campbell spurned a great chance to give the hosts the lead as the ball broke to him, but he skied the ball over the bar. With 66 minutes on the clock, Wroxham took a barely deserved lead through Joao Rangel.

His initial shot was blocked, but he made no mistake with the rebound, smashing the ball into the top corner.

As the rain continued to batter Norfolk, the game fell into farce with players barely able to stay on their feet. The pitch resembled something like a scene out of Saving Private Ryan.

With a little over 10 minutes left, a Maldon free kick was punched away by Burwood. The ball was put back into the box and Jayden Randell headed just over as the search for an equaliser went on.

There was still time for Ryan Miles to draw a good save from Collins to keep Maldon in with a sniff, but the time ran out and the referee blew for full-time.

That condemned the Jammers to a 3rd straight league defeat.


New maldon Jobs Section Launched!!
Vacancies updated hourly!!
Click here: maldon jobs


Related Articles

Simon Bouch
Local Sport

Burnham RFC win tight quarter-final in Presidents Shield

Gorleston v Maldon & Tiptree (Photo: Roy Warner for Maldon & Tiptree FC)
Local Sport

No Pleasure In Yarmouth For The Jammers

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Maldon with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.