Maldon & Tiptree FC: Jammers book place in the first round

By Guest

7th Sep 2021 | Local Sport

A penalty in the 88th minute from Shomari Barnwell secured the Jammers' place in the First Round of the FA Cup for a second successive season.

The Jammers completed another FA Cup upset, this time dispatching Haringey Borough of the Isthmian Premier Division, one-nil.

The win is the clubs second one-nil win in succession in the most famous cup competition in the world, after beating Braintree Town in the last round by the same score-line.

Substitute, Shomari Barnwell's penalty with just two minutes left on the clock ensured Wayne Brown's much-changed side booked their place in the First Round of the competition for a second successive season.

The draw for the next round of the competition will be made live on national television on Monday 26 October, on BBC2 and BT Sport at 7pm.

Match Report:

Boss Brown named the same starting eleven that overcame Braintree Town in the last round of the competition. Haringey visited Park Drive in their first away game in the FA Cup for over two years, Laste Dombaxe was named in the visitors starting eleven after departing the Jammers in the summer of 2020.

Despite the difference in leagues between the two sides, it was the home side who started the brighter of the two sides, creating the best opportunities in an evenly contested opening fifteen minutes. Hamza Kaid had the first effort of the match, however his effort curled over the cross bar. Scott Kemp was the next to try his luck, however his effort ended in similar fashion to Kaid, has it went over the bar. Maldon shot-stopped, Ben McNamara made his first save of the contest after 20 minutes as he was on-hand to smartly deny Scott Mitchell.

Five minutes later, the home should have been in front. Smart play down the left hand from Andre Hasanally allowed him space to deliver a delicious cross in to the penalty box, on to the head of midfielder, Bradley McClenaghan, however McClenaghan planted his header wide, wasting a golden opportunity. The Jammers continued to press-on for the first goal of the game, with Adam Vyse having the last chance of the half, as his shot from an uncontested drop-ball forced visiting Goalkeeper, Jonathan Miles in to his first save.

Half-time: Maldon & Tiptree 0-0 Haringey Borough

Encouraged by their first half performance, the Jammers continued in the same way, dominating last proportions of possession, whilst looking solid in defense. In truth, both sides struggled to break each other down and create chances with both defenses looking extremely strong. 10 minutes in to the second half and Haringey were fortunate to keep eleven men on the pitch, after an altercation inside their penalty area, resulted with Vyse and defender, Rakim Richards on the floor but the Referee was unsighted as he missed Richards stamp on the torso of Vyse.

With thirty minutes left on the clock, Brown made his first change of the afternoon, with Shomari Barnwell replacing striker, Vyse. Barnwell was straight in to action and almost scored the games opening goal. Smart play from Scott Kemp on the right-hand side of midfield was followed by a cross in to the box, Barnwell produced an audacious flick which goalkeeper, Miles was able to make a splendid save, to parry the ball just wide, however the Referee awarded a goal-kick. Maldon were forced in to a second change with 17 minutes left, as Sam Coombes was withdrawn through injury and replaced by Aaron William-Bushell.

Moving in to the last ten minutes, it was Maldon who remained the most dangerous with Haringey yet to force McNamara in to a second half save. Captain, Martyn Stokes had a free-header at the back post, however lost his footing on what was a slippery surface, as his header went wide of the goal, to the relief of the Haringey defense. With two minutes left on the clock, the home side awarded with a penalty after a hand-ball inside the penalty area from visiting defender, Scott Mitchell...

Substitute, Shomari Barnwell grabbed the ball and had the chance to make himself a hero. Grinning with confidence, Barnwell, off of a short run up, bent his spot-kick in to the top corner, to give his side the lead with just minutes to play.

With six additional minutes awarded by the Referee, the Maldon defense, led by the impressive Stokes, stood tall to secure the clubs place in the First Round of the Emirates FA Cup for second successive season.

Full-time: Maldon & Tiptree 1-0 Haringey Borough


New maldon Jobs Section Launched!!
Vacancies updated hourly!!
Click here: maldon jobs


Related Articles

Simon Bouch
Local Sport

Burnham RFC win tight quarter-final in Presidents Shield

(Photo: Maldon & Tiptree FC)
Local Sport

Wroxham Hog all three points against the Jammers


To enter just subscribe to our FREE Stockport NubNews Newsletter.
Every subscriber will be automatically entered into our competition.
Deadline 31 March 2024.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our
Privacy Policy and Competition terms and conditions.