'A (Red)bridge too far': Maldon & Tiptree FC suffers narrow defeat

By Ben Shahrabi

16th Oct 2023 | Football

Maldon & Tiptree suffered a narrow defeat when Redbridge FC scored a fourth goal with just 20 seconds left of Saturday's match. (Credit: Roy Warner)
Maldon & Tiptree suffered a narrow defeat when Redbridge FC scored a fourth goal with just 20 seconds left of Saturday's match. (Credit: Roy Warner)

Redbridge 4 - Maldon & Tiptree 3

Maldon & Tiptree succumbed to the latest of late winners as Redbridge won an entertaining clash in the Isthmian North on Saturday afternoon (October 14).

There was one change from the side that battled to a win against Basildon United on Tuesday as Colchester United loanee Matthew Yates started in place of Billy Willis. There was also a place on the bench for Alfie Mason following his return to the Club.

In a sign of things to come, the opening exchanges saw chances for both sides with Louie Remi and George Smith going close for the Jammers, while the hosts had chances too, but were kept at bay by Luca Collins.

With 20 minutes played, there were further let-offs for both sides, Solomon Ogunwomoju heading wide and Maldon's Yassine El-Neyah drawing a good save from Redbridge goalkeeper George Martin two minutes later.

Credit: Roy Warner

The game was never going to end goalless and after 23 minutes, the hosts took the lead. A free kick was punched up rather than out by Collins and the ball fell to Ogunwomoju who headed home past a Maldon man on the line.

Ten minutes later, it was 1-1 as George Smith capitalised on Redbridge's inability to clear their lines. Louis Britton got his head to a Harrison Chatting cross and it fell loose to Smith who smashed the ball home to bring the scores level for his seventh goal of an impressive start to his season.

Just two minutes later, the Jammers were ahead when a ball to the back post found the incoming Andre Hassanally. He made no mistake and drilled the ball home to make it 2-1.

The lead didn't last long - about three minutes, to be precise. A defensive lapse let Redbridge through on goal only to be denied by a wonderful save from Collins using his legs.

Unfortunately, Luca didn't get the luck he deserved as the resulting corner was played to the back post before being put back into the middle where James Barlow tapped in to square things up at 2-2.

Credit: Roy Warner

Just before half time though, Smith struck again as he twisted and turned his man inside out in the box before firing home on the turn, leaving Martin with no chance to send us into the break 3-2 ahead.

That was the last of the action as the referee blew to bring an action packed first half to an end.

The second half started with a Maldon change as Smith made way for Temple and we had a good chance to score a fourth with 10 minutes played, but Jayden Randell hooked his shot from a free kick into the hands of the keeper.

Redbridge equalised for the second time of the afternoon when Kobe Yeboah reacted quickest to shoot home after the ball had come back off the post from a free header.

Kobe scoring in a basketball game. Sounds familiar.

Credit: Roy Warner

Both sides continued to look for more goals and neither team really ever had any control over the game. With 20 minutes to play, a really well worked free kick nearly gave Maldon the lead again.

With both Chatting and El-Neyah standing over the ball, it was Yassine who shaped to shoot but at the last minute peeled off down the right. Chatting set the ball through to him, but his cross in was headed wide for a goal kick.

More chances came for the away side, with Chatting and Remi linking up well down the left. Louie's ball in was just asking to be put away but neither Temple or Britton could get a telling touch on it. The ball was scrambled away only as far as Adam Topley whose shot from distance was well fielded by Martin.

Credit: Roy Warner

Then, with 20 seconds left, Redbridge found a winner thanks to Jack Chawner's strike from distance that found its way through a forest of bodies after Maldon could only half clear a late corner.

There was barely time to kick off again before the referee called an end to a wonderful game for the neutral. Seventeen goals in three games this week - you can't say we're a boring watch anymore!

Next up, we welcome Gorleston to the Home of Football on Saturday (October 21).

Read more


Related Articles

Steve Tilson was presented with an Isthmian League 'Manager of the Month' award for August. (Credit: Heybridge Swifts)

Heybridge Swifts boss Steve Tilson wins 'Manager of the Month' award

The Jammers snatched their first win of the season, against Enfield, following a difficult few weeks. (Credit: Roy Warner)

'Three is the magic number': Maldon & Tiptree FC hopes to turn fortunes around following win against Enfield

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Maldon with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.