What's On in the Maldon District: Local History Week and Stow Maries' Wings and Wheels 2023
By Ben Shahrabi
25th May 2023 | Local News
Read all about these great family events happening in the Maldon District this weekend.
If you have an event you would like to share, you can do so for FREE via the What's On Nub It button!
Saturday 27 May to Sunday 4 June
Maldon's first Local History Week took place in 2018 with members of the Heritage group wanting to collaborate and organise a 'themed' event on a certain week to showcase the sites in Maldon. Since then, it has been hosted annually during the half term holiday, with many sites participating and offering activities for all ages.
Experience life as a bargeman on one of the iconic Thames Sailing Barges; clamber aboard the Steam Tug Brent, the last surviving steam vessel of the Port of London Authority's fleet; go and invade the Museum of Power; explore Maldon's maritime past at the Museum in the Park; find out about Maldon's history in the Maeldune Heritage Centre and be captivated by the exquisite Millennium Embroidery; meet the Town Mayor in his regalia in the Moot Hall; enjoy a tranquil walk in the grounds of the Leech Memorial Garden or the Friary Walled Garden; explore the remains of the Maldon leper hospital in Spital Road or catch a lunchtime concert in the St Mary's Church.
View more information about the events and entertainment on offer throughout the week below.
Maeldune Heritage Centre, Maldon High Street - open from May 26 to June 3
The Centre is open from Tuesday to Saturday (11am until 4pm). Entry is free.
Visitors can see and hear about:
- The Jersey Frigate, a 50 gun Frigate or Fourth Rate ship of the Line for the British Navy. It was built in Maldon by Town Bailift Mr. Starling, and launched in 1654. Bill Geller, a member of the Heritage Group, has donated his drawings to the Town and the Maeldune Heritage Centre is proud to be a custodian.
- The Thames Sailing Barge Trust is celebrating its 75th anniversary this year. It exists to preserve its two Thames barges in sailing condition for the benefit of the public and to pass on the skills required to sail them. Come and see the display, share the story and hear more about the Trust's work.
- Steam Tug Brent is moored at the Hythe in Maldon. She is the only steam powered vessel to have attended on the Thames at the Queen's Coronation in 1953 and the Silver Jubilee in 1977. Hear how a private owner saved Brent and won an award at the Greenwich Festival, as the 'Best Kept Privately Owned Power Craft'.
Thomas Plume's Library - May 27 to June 3
Combined Military Services Museum - May 28
Museum of Power, Langford - event from May 29 to June 4
St Mary's Church - May 31 to June 4
The Maldon Society Talk - June 1
Friary Walled Garden - June 4
Sunday 28 May
Wings and Wheels 2023 at Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome - from 10am
The famed Wings and Wheels event is back at Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome, following its record-breaking success in 2022.
On May 28, you can expect some great action in the air and some beautiful sights on the ground, weather permitting.
Featuring cars, aircraft, exhibitions, a BBQ, and a bar. What more could you ask for?
Admission will cover all galleries and displays, the Airmen's Mess Café, and free parking.
More local landmarks
Steam Tug Brent Open Days 2023
Leech Memorial Garden
If you know of any more local events happening soon, get in touch or submit them to our What's On section.
- Maldon District: Burnham butcher's shop refused, 5 houses in Tillingham refused, 2 new bungalows in Great Totham, and 9 more planning applications near you
- Maldon Council slammed for its inertia
- Maldon District: Smile singer who worked with Queen's Brian May and Roger Taylor to visit Caroline Community Radio